Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 22:00:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, cjclark@home.com
Subject:   Re: Installing src & R6 (was: mounting primary DOS partition)

media@mail1.nai.net wrote,
> At 1:13 AM -0400 5/7/99, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >
> >> Anyway, I still can't seem to install X11R6 or the src files from my DOS
> >> partition.  When I stand/install from root and go to load them I get:
> >>
> >> "Error mounting /dev/wd0s1 on /dist: device busy (16)"
> >
> >Again,
> >
> ># umount /1
> >
> >(Or /DOS if you have done the previous change). /stand/sysinstall does
> >not expect the DOS drive to already be mounted, unmount (umount) it
> >first.
>
> I just tried that and it didn't work.
[SNIP!]

Try this, rather than keep resorting to /stand/sysinstall, go into the
directory of a distribution you would like to install, e.g. 'src', and
just install it from the shell script in there. That is,

# mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s1 /DOS
# cd /DOS/FREEBSD/src
# ./install.sh

And that should work without inflicting the assumptions and
'user-friendliness' of /stand/sysinstall on you. ;) Ask if you have
questions about the 'install.sh' scripts.