Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 13:06:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers), FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: Somebody explain this to me again.. :-)

Paul Richards writes:

>> >Why does the ``libraries'' target in /usr/src/Makefile cleans
>> >automatically?  Sure, you can set NOCLEANDIR but then that turns off
>>
>> The libraries might be different if the compiler has changed.  The
>> compiler might change because it's not in lib-tools.
>>

> I think perhaps the make world methodology is now largely redundant. In
> the early days we were so busy fixing bugs in the build
> tools/libraries/headers that we needed something like this but I'm not
> sure that's the case now.

I heartily agree!  I've been rebuilding -stable since Monday, and
every time I run into a minor problem, I have to start again from
scratch.

> I think a make bootstrap would be more convenient these days where specific
> cases for this particular release can be put thus avoiding a lot of
> rebuilding that's basically unecessary.

Yes, this seems the way to go.

> When was the last time we changed the compiler, or libm or most of the
> other stuff, doesn't make sense to include it all in the multiple
> build stages.

If the compiler's the reason for rebuilding, why not make the
libraries dependent on it?  It seems that a lot of the 'rm -rf's in
the Makefiles are the result of inadequate dependencies.  I would
suggest that we make the standard build ('make everything'?) without
any 'rm -rf', and gradually work on getting the dependencies correct.

Greg