Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:12:12 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Eric Pretorious <eric@pretorious.net>
Cc:        scottl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_10?

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 22:36 -0700, Eric Pretorious wrote:
> On Monday 25 April 2005 07:13 pm, Ken Smith wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 01:12:19AM -0700, Eric Pretorious wrote:
> >> Is it still possible to maintain a 4.10 installation? (This subject isn't
> >> addressed directly in The Handbook.)
> >
> >Due to the size of the main FTP site we have needed to trim down on
> >how many of the full package sets we keep online.  The precompiled
> >packages from the 4.10 release are one of the ones taken off the
> >main mirror sites.
>
> Hm. This concerns me: What are the long-term prospects for systems built using
> packages?

It's "best practice" to have some mechanism in place to update the
ports/packages you have installed, no matter which approach you use
(pre-built packages or building from the ports tree yourself).  It's
possible that the packages in ports/i386/packages-4-stable on the main
FTP sites will work on a 4.10 system - that's another thing you could
try.  But those do get built with 4.11 "in mind" so you might run into a
problem or two doing that.

> Thanks. After installing the ports tree from the installation CD (Release #5)
> and attempting to build two ports (isc-dhcp3-server & cvsup-without-gui) that
> both failed, I gave up on 4.10 and installed 4.11. I'm concerned about the
> long-term maintainability of this system though (because it was built using
> packages instead of ports). What can I do to extend the life of this
> installation?

I'm not sure but I think you forgot the "update /usr/ports" directory
step.  :-)  Due to changes in what's available on the net as far as what
can be downloaded, versions of the various software packages that the
ports build, etc. building from /usr/ports as it existed at the time
4.10 was released is very likely to fail.  But if you update /usr/ports
first building on 4.10 should work for the most part.  cvsup (with gui
I'm afraid) was one of the packages that was bundled on the CDs so that
should be available to you during install.  Once you've got a baseline
system with cvsup installed you can use cvsup to update /usr/ports, and
you really shouldn't have many problems building other things from that.

You may want to look into ports/sysutils/portupgrade as well, it can be
useful for helping keep ports up to date.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu