Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 2002 15:53:35 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>, Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL vs. -lmd

Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> = Asking every software vendor out there to perform the same contortions
> = so that their applications aren't FreeBSD-specific after they're
> = written is unacceptable.
>
> Nobody is planning to ask them. If your application only compiles with a
> particular version of OpenSSL means the app is broken.

If your OS doesn't allow my application to compile with a
particular version of OpenSSL, it means your OS is broken.

The sword cuts both ways.

Try to think like an application vendor instead of an OS vendor.

> In any case, to bring this thread back to the SUBJECT, having -lmd does
> not help those poor vendors a bit. I'd suggest using -lmd _inside_
> -lcrypto, if OpenSSL's implementations of the digests weren't faster...
>
> Since they are, -lmd should be dropped. Whatever your opinion on the
> rest of OpenSSL, its API(s) did not change in a while... Especially in
> the Message Digest area.

That'd be peachy, if the shared library version number only
applied to the Message Digest area.  Unfortunately, it applies
to the whole thing, so when something unrelated to message
digests changes its API, programs linked against the same
digest API can notcontinue to use the system shared library
when installed on future versions of FreeBSD, unless backward
compatability packages are also installed.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to make a package depend on
backward compatability packages which don't exist yet, is it?

-- Terry