Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:55:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        Michael Beckmann <beckmann@nacamar.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: imapd and /var/mail permissions

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Michael Beckmann wrote:

>      This software is designed to run without privileges.  The mail spool
> directory should be protected 1777; that is, with world write and the sticky
> bit.  Of course, mail *files* should be protected 600!
>
> I don't like having permissions set to 1777 on /var/mail . Anyone have a
> proposal how to properly deal with this ?

Same here.  My quick fix was to hack the code to create locks in
/var/locks/ instead of /var/mail (which was mode 1777).  This worked for
mailboxes, but imapd also insists on locking $HOME/mbox, which my hack
didn't account for.

What is needed (and really this should be backported into the UW
distribution) is to change locks so that requests to lock

/var/mail/$USER

create locks as

/var/locks/imap/$USER.host.time.pid

and requests to lock

/home/$USER/mbox

creates locks in the home directory, or better still as

/var/locks/imap/$USER.mbox.host.time.pid

Any coders up to the task ?  It's all in src/osdep/unix/bezerk.c, in the
bezerk_lock() function.

--
j.