Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 08:23:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wireless Laptop NICs

> > > 	Anyone have any experience with Wireless Nics for Laptops? I'm
> > > looking for something that has a large range preferably. Wavelan looks
> > > good but I've not seen them in action. Thanks in advance!
> >
> > I've used wavelan, but not in a computer (!) - it was in a wireless
> > control system. FWIW, it worked reliably over a distance of about 20
> > feet, through a wall. The room was too small to test greater distances.
>
> WaveLANs were used extensively on the Dell campus in Austin until earlier
> this year.  I was not involved in the installation, so can't give details,
> but the range was such that people would go to the picnic benches outside
> (about 40 meters from the nearest point of the building) to read e-mail
> on their notebooks between meetings.  Another brand started replacing the

	Cisco bought out a company that makes 'em too. I've been looking
at those as they have a 25 mile radius with the auxilary atteneas and
receivers. I'd like something along the same lines. I've been looking at a
celluar phone modem, but I don't really want to rely on spotty service
that way. If I have my own attenea I can set it up whereever I need to get
better signal. At this point my only other option is Packet Radio, but I'd
need to get a ham licence for that unless I can figure out how to run it
in the citizen bands. :) Has anybody done this?

					Rick