Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:29:13 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Zhihao Yuan <lichray@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fail to use Dtrace on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:45:38PM -0600, Zhihao Yuan wrote:
>  ~> uname -a
> FreeBSD compaq.yuetime 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #0: Thu Nov 18 01:32:06
> CST
>  2010     root@compaq.yuetime:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HOUKAGO  amd64
>
> I added the required options to the kernel config file:
>
>  Code:
>
> options KDTRACE_FRAME
> options KDTRACE_HOOKS
> options DDB_CTF
>
> and compiled/installed the kernel WITH_CTF=1 successfully.
>
> sudo make buildkernel KERNCONF=HOUKAGO WITH_CTF=1
> sudo make installkernel KERNCONF=HOUKAGO WITH_CTF=1
>
> The dtraceall is loaded, and dtrace -l works. But whenever I want to run a
> dtrace command, I get something like:
>
> ~> sudo dtrace -lP syscall
> dtrace: invalid probe specifier syscall: "/usr/lib/dtrace/psinfo.d", line
> 37: syntax error near "uid_t"
>
> The error message looks like what you got when WITH_CTF=1 is not presented.
> Any idea?

I don't know if this will help, but I followed the procedure here:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/DTrace

Which worked fine.  See this thread for verification that the above
works correctly:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-October/009780.html

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |