Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:48:38 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Jay Aikat <jaikat@email.unc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.1 install and multiple drives

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 10:22:46AM -0500, Jay Aikat wrote:
> I am trying to install FreeBSD 6.1 on a Dell Poweredge 2900 which has an
> Intel dual-core processor, and 8 drives on a SATA backplane, connected to a
> PERC 5i controller.  They are setup as just a bunch of disks, and not
> raided.
>
> Here's the issue:
> -- 6.2 installs fine (but I need 6.1 for some hardware we installed on this
> machine that only works with 6.1, not 6.2)
>
> -- 6.1 install fails with a vm-fault error after starting to write to disk0
> (if all 8 drives have been fdisked and labeled).
>
> -- 6.1 installs fine if I fdisk and label only the drive0 (mfid0)
>
> But after installing 6.1 using only one drive, if I then run sysinstall to
> add more drives, fdisk works fine, but when I run label, and then "write"
> it crashes, and then I can't even boot into the disk0 b/c its partitions
> have become corrupted.
>
> What seems to be happening is that "label" somehow seems to be duplicating
> the /var partition in disk0 into the disk1 partition.  Then if I add disk2,
> label seems to be duplicating the disk1 partition onto disk2.  (this
> duplication problem I discover when I try to label outside of sysinstall).
>
> Has anyone seen this bizarre behavior - seems like a bug in bsdlabel in 6.1
> - not sure.  Any help or suggestions are highly appreciated.  Thanks,
> --jay.

I think I remember seeing a similar bugreport in the past.  If I remember
correctly it was a bug in the driver for the disk controller.

The commit entry quoted below was likely the one which fixed the problem
(it was merged to 6-STABLE a couple of weeks later.)
As you can see from the date it was made after 6.1 was out, but before
6.2 was out, so it is not surprising 6.2 works while 6.1 does not.

  ps          2006-06-20 22:41:44 UTC

    FreeBSD src repository

    Modified files:
      sys/dev/mfi          mfi.c mfi_disk.c mfi_pci.c mfireg.h
                           mfivar.h
    Log:
    Instead of using scsi probes to do device discovery, use the firmware
    commands to grab the device listing.  This resolves issues using
    multiple volumes, where each volume was actually internally pointing
    to target 0.

    Revision  Changes    Path
    1.11      +77 -202   src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c
    1.4       +3 -9      src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi_disk.c
    1.3       +1 -0      src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi_pci.c
    1.3       +96 -0     src/sys/dev/mfi/mfireg.h
    1.3       +1 -3      src/sys/dev/mfi/mfivar.h

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson