Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 08:33:15 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Stumpie <stumpie@edu.gte.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Still trying to get X-Windows going

On Wed,  6 May 1998 at  7:40:07 -0700, Stumpie wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> Well, it you've told it as much information as you've told us, that's
>> not surprising.  What kind of mouse do you have?  How is it connected?
>
> Well, like I said before,

I didn't see any mention of the hardware before.

> the one I'm trying to get working is a 2 button generic serial
> mouse.  It's made by Logitech and it's model M-34.  It plugs into a
> serial port on the back of the computer.  The serial port is on a
> generic card that is plugged into the motherboard.

OK.  /dev/ttyd0 or /dev/ttyd1?

>>> 2. I get an error message when I type in startx.
>>>
>>> xinit: no such file or directory (errno 2) no server X in path.
>>>
>>> I'm using the Leahy book as a crutch here to look up items.
>>
>> Maybe you'd be better off reading the chapter.
>
> About the last thing that I want to get now is a RTFM message.

No, that's the first thing you need.  You have all the information you
need.  Why do you say you don't want to read it?

> I did read most of your book before ever starting this project, and
> have re-read a lot of it.  I think that it is an excellent book.

Thank you.

> I'm just having a little trouble getting x-windows up and running

Yes, and I'm telling you how to do it.

>>> If there is a discussion of how to create paths and put programs in
>>> correct paths, then it's not obvious to me.

> In running grep PATH, I find that /usr/X11R6/bin is in my path.  Now
> when I cd to that directory, I find that startx and xinit is in
> there, but I still get the same error messages.

Don't do 'grep PATH', do 'echo $PATH'.  'grep PATH' could find it in
all sorts of places, including init files for different shells.  Check
page 150-152 for information about your shell.  If you don't see what
you're looking for, tell me.

> I'm not upgrading from version 2.
>
>> o Your mouse type, the bit rate if it's a serial mouse, and the
>> name of the device to which it is connected.  This will typically
>> be /dev/ttyd0 or /dev/ttyd1 for a serial mouse
>
> What is the difference between ttyd0 and ttyd1?

They're different serial ports.  See pages 178 and 337.

> I've tried both of these with no success.

I'd guess that you've missed the correct combination.  Assuming that
the mouse is working correctly under other environments, it can't be
hardware, so it must be a configuration problem.

There's just possibly one problem which has bitten a number of us,
including myself: are your serial ports being recognized on boot?  A
number of newer mother boards have an Acer UART which requires
additional initialization.  Do this:

$ dmesg | grep sio
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
sio2 at 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 9 on isa
sio2: type 16550A

This example shows three serial ports (/dev/ttyd0, /dev/ttyd1 and
/dev/ttyd2).  If the one your mouse is connected to is not found, this
would explain the problem.  If that's the case, please give me
information about your motherboard.  You may also find
http://www.lemis.com/serial-port-patch.html interesting.

Greg