Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 00:01:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Rene Scott <rene@tp98.catv.szabinet.hu>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@speakeasy.org>
Cc:        Matthew Jonkman <jonkman@jonkmangarage.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shell Color Coding

On Mar 21 R Joseph Wright wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Matthew Jonkman wrote:
>
> > A while ago I saw a little app that would color code the files and
> > directories in a shell. I think it was on a linux box which probably does
> > that by default.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a similar deal for freebsd? Seems like that would save a
> > boat-load of time scanning for certain things in ls outputs.
> >
> I use "gnuls" (/usr/ports/misc/gnuls).
> Then I added the line [alias ls='gnuls --color=always'] to ~/.profile and
> ~/.bashrc.  If you're not using bash, put the alias in whatever shell
> dotfiles you have.

Maybe a better approach to define a function like

function ls
{
	gnuls --color=auto $@
}

 And with 'alias ls='gnuls --color=always' the following shell code on
the command line should fail:

for i in `ls`; do
done

	Rene

UNIX was never designed to keep people from doing stupid things, because
that policy would also keep them from doing clever things.   (Doug Gwyn)