Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 2017 05:17:47 +0800
From:      blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Macy <mmacy@nextbsd.org>
Cc:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>, "Zane C. B-H." <v.velox@vvelox.net>,  x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: End of year Xorg status rant
References:  <20161230163653.54909631@rsbsd.rsb> <15952279f17.e0be0d8c34357.732964216134709731@nextbsd.org> <20161231120453.13adf858@thor.walstatt.dynvpn.de> <20161231145143.18e6ac99@rsbsd.rsb> <20161231131150.GA3514@lonesome.com> <20161231160319.1a77a8fd@azsupport.com> <822e64b6a6efa38ad5331e2be3f175f9@vvelox.net> <20170103183149.GA86111@slackbox.erewhon.home> <CALM2mEmmtx%2B%2BP6XCRgie_TGv6c7_zwtDJMX1cQ-guC=CLfdRcw@mail.gmail.com> <15965d3f462.e563526350116.951917747823032795@nextbsd.org>

I saw a talk that I thought was pretty cool dealing w/ x on linux, messaged
the guy. The conversation went like this:

Hi Eric

I watched your talk here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhO3dHL7GEY

I am using FreeBSD and wanted to start improving the situation over here.
It seems that with linux putting more of their graphics code into the
kernel and BSD cannot share that code, at least not easily I am trying to
develop a plan to move forward.

Are you still working on glamor and the accelerated x? Also what about the
Linux KVM that strips x down to just a tiny shell.

Do you have some time to talk? I'd like to get caught up on the current
situation around these things in order to have a better way to move forward
with graphics on BSD.

Best,
Owen
=======
blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Eric
>
> I watched your talk here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhO3dHL7GEY
>
> I am using FreeBSD and wanted to start improving the situation over here.
> It seems that with linux putting more of their graphics code into the
> kernel and BSD cannot share that code, at least not easily I am trying to
> develop a plan to move forward.

BSDs could try to keep porting the Linux kernel code back, which I guess
a couple of people have been trying, but without many active graphics
developers the best solution for open source desktops is to switch to
Linux.  It's what I did back when I finally realized that nobody else
around me cared about open source desktop FreeBSD.
=======

That statement makes me a bit sad but I do understand. People want to be
productive, I moved to freebsd from Linux because it seems Linux is going
in a direction where you do things the way the DE says or you're in for
pain.

It's going to take work, a lot of it to change things but I'm getting
caught up and I want to improve the graphics stack on BSD systems.

Can I ping you now and again to ask about some things?

One thing that is a little annoying is that even though KMS,  GEB,  etc are
all open since its only Linux most of the implantation is based on the
Linux kernel, this isn't good for BSD since their kernels are different.

It would be nice if each function would just document what should happen
and leave the implantation up to the driver writers. Does that sound
unreasonable?

Best,
Owen

=======
blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com> writes:

> That statement makes me a bit sad but I do understand. People want to be
> productive, I moved to freebsd from Linux because it seems Linux is going
> in a direction where you do things the way the DE says or you're in for
> pain.
>
> It's going to take work, a lot of it to change things but I'm getting
> caught up and I want to improve the graphics stack on BSD systems.
>
> Can I ping you now and again to ask about some things?

I'm not interested in participating in discussions of how to help the
BSDs with graphics.
=======

I understand, thanks for you time and the video presentation.

Best,
Owen

Now, when that's the response from the guys working on graphics for Linux,
would I be wrong to be skeptical of continually "porting" Linux code to
BSD? Does it make sense and do you think your efforts will be sustainable
and easy for someone else to maintain?

Best,

Owen