Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 00:18:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Scott <sceinuis@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help!

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Scott wrote:

> I'd like to start off with the fact that I love your product.  I am
> attempting my first web server for the net (yikes), and I'm going with
> FreeBSD.  Your competition was Linux (Red Hat and Slackware), NT and OS/2.
> I am just about ready to implement my server, but I have one problem which I
> was hoping you can help me with.

Good competition. :)

> I'm running 2.1.6 on a 64MB pentium machine.  I get everything to install
> just great.  Everything gets recognized, and teh machine boots and works
> fine.  My problem lies in the fact that (although I have tried what books
> and man say) I cannot get an FTP login to chroot() so that their directory
> looks like the root in their FTP client.  I've been through different books
> about Linux and Unix, and cannot seem to make it work.  I've asked other
> users of FreeBSD but they don't seem to want to help.

You are warned that doing this disables 'dir' and other external commands
unless everyone has the 'ls' command in ~/bin.  You may want to find a
different way of doing this.  If your perms are set right then having
your authorized maintainers wandering around should _not_ be a problem.

I believe the way to achieve this behavior is to embed a '.' in their home
directory path as specified in the password database.  So, if I wanted to
chroot my homedir, then I would have

/home/dwhite/./

as my homedir spec.

> When the client logs in it says version 6.0 of ftp.  I'm not sure that this
> is the correct FTP for the feature, and I fdon't know how to tell.

Version 6 is the BSD standard ftpd.

You may be interested in wu-ftpd, which is in the ports tree.