Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 00:21:37 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Flemming Froekjaer <flemming@froekjaer.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop without Windows

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 02:14:44PM -0700, Flemming Froekjaer wrote:
> I was looking at buying a Dell Inspiron 8000, but there was no option to
> buy it without a windows os.
> So i called them instead and explained that I wanted to use the laptop
> with FreeBSD. They said that would be ok, but i would have to pay the
> same price, as with the OS.
> Is that normal?

I am afraid that is all too common.
Many (most?) 'brand name' computers come with Windows pre-installed and
you have to pay for it even if you don't want it.

They probably have a deal with Microsoft where if they install Windows
on *all* computers they sell they get a reduced price for Windows.
Or they might just be greedy. Or lazy. Or something....

> I know Microsoft is not giving DELL free OS licenses, and I don't want
> to support MS by buying there OS, when I'm not going to use it.

Buy somewhere/something else.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson