Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:59:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>
To:        olli@secnetix.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mount option "nomtime"?

On  8 Oct, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> I should have been more specific in my examples.  Sorry.
>
> Think about INN with using cycbuffers (CNFS) when storing
> news articles (which is pretty standard on fullfeed news
> servers).  Those cycbuffers are a bunch of large files.
> Their size never changes, but a lot of data is written to
> them all the time.  The same goes for the overview data
> when using the so-called buffindexed storage.  INN itself
> does not need the mtime information of the buffer files.
>
> Another example would be "oops", which is a very fast,
> lightweight web proxy.  It uses cyclic buffer files to
> store the cached data, similar to INN's CNFS.
>
> I think in the above cases, a "nomtime" option would indeed
> save some unnecessary overhead.

Probably not much, especially if you are using soft updates.  The
in-kernel copy of the inode will get updated on every write, but the
on-disk copy will only get written when the soft updates timer for it
goes off, which I think would be once every 10 seconds and is tunable. I
don't think you'll see much reduction in load compared to all the other
I/O that's going on.

Noatime won't help much in your examples either.  It only buys you a lot
if the data is spread over a large number of files.