Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 12:12:40 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problems with multilink ppp

Gentlemen:

i have been having a problem with multilink ppp ever since i've
starting using it.. I am running two USR sportster 56k modems.
basically what happens is my provider kicks me offline every 12hrs.
i'm running userppp from the rc.conf (ie "/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial
-nat etcetc").  i also have pppctl setup.  when my provider kicks me
off, my machine goes to reconnect.  generally every other time or
everytime depending, my modems will keep dialing connecting negotiating
and then hanging up, and keep repeating this over again and again, at
least until I intervene.  when I run pppctl, then prompt will say
"PPP>" indicating that i have a full working connection, even though
the off hook and CD lights on both modem are off. it says that way even
when dialing.  the only way it will stop is when i type "close", leave
the modems recycle, and then type "open", and then all is well..  the
logs dont really say anything except "carrier lost" or something to
that effect.  I am not sure if this is a configuration problem, or a
bug in the multilink code..  here is my ppp.conf.  i can post a set of
logs if needed.

default:
# ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)

 # Ensure that "device" references the correct serial port
 # for your modem. (cuaa0 = COM1, cuaa1 = COM2)

 set device /dev/cuaa0 /dev/cuaa1

 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set speed 115200
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 set server /var/tmp/internet xxxxxxx 0177

sgi:
 set phone xxxxxxxxx

 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATZ OK
AT&F1S11=60M0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 60 CONNECT"
 set reconnect 40 40
 set authname xxxxxxxxxx
 set authkey xxxxxxxxxx
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0

 set mrru 1500
 clone 1,2

 link 1 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATZ OK
AT&F1S11=60M0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 60 CONNECT"
 link 2 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATZ OK
AT&F1S11=60M0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 60 CONNECT"

 link deflink remove

 link * set mode ddial

 add default HISADDR

 nat port tcp 192.168.1.2:6699 6699
 nat port udp 192.168.1.2:6257 6257
 set filter in   0 deny tcp src eq 137
 set filter out  0 deny tcp src eq 137
 set filter in   1 deny tcp dst eq 137
 set filter out  1 deny tcp dst eq 137
 set filter in   2 deny udp src eq 137
 set filter out  2 deny udp src eq 137
 set filter in   3 deny udp dst eq 137
 set filter out  3 deny udp dst eq 137
 set filter in   4 deny tcp src eq 138
 set filter out  4 deny tcp src eq 138
 set filter in   5 deny tcp dst eq 138
 set filter out  5 deny tcp dst eq 138
 set filter in   6 deny udp src eq 138
 set filter out  6 deny udp src eq 138
 set filter in   7 deny udp dst eq 138
 set filter out  7 deny udp dst eq 138
 set filter in   8 deny tcp src eq 139
 set filter out  8 deny tcp src eq 139
 set filter in   9 deny tcp dst eq 139
 set filter out  9 deny tcp dst eq 139
 set filter in  10 deny udp src eq 139
 set filter out 10 deny udp src eq 139
 set filter in  11 deny udp dst eq 139
 set filter out 11 deny udp dst eq 139
 set filter in  12 permit 0 0
 set filter out 12 permit 0 0

the nat is for winmx, and the filter is for samba.

thanx
---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net