Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 1995 00:30:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
To:        tom@haven.uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pppd inactivity timeout?

>This will use a lot of cputime.. a better way would be to call
timeout every 10 seconds or minute  while the line is up, and
have it decrement a counter.. if it reaches 0, you hang up.
if not you just schedule another timeout..
whenever you receive or send a packet, you just set the counter
back to initial condition (maximum count)..
that way you're doing a single write, not a whole function call(x2)
for each packet.

julian