Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 00:21:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS woes: getting worse?

:Forgot to mention, this happens with a read-only NFS tree too.  I was
:running builds on the client with a shared /usr/ports and WRKDIRPREFIX
:pointing to a local directory, and the build will topple over in the
:middle unable to find a Makefile on the server or something.
:
:That is the problem that went away with the server load.
:
:Satoshi

    I am running a Dec 24th CVS tree while working on the first set of VM
    commits.

    I've been using read-only NFS mounts of /usr/src on diskless workstations
    in order to do make -j6 buildworld runs on them ( /usr/obj being a big
    300 MB MFS filesystem on the same workstation, swap-backed, where swap
    itself is BOOTP NFS based swap).

    I have not experienced any NFS corruption at all, so whatever blew NFS up
    must have been committed after Dec 24th.  Note that I *AM* using luoqi's
    VFS/BIO patches, which fixed the msdosfs mount-after-ufs-mount-attempt
    crash.

    I'll have time to help track down the NFS problems after the tree splits
    and I can commit the new swapper, but I can't update my tree until then.

					-Matt

					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>