Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 1996 11:49:50 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Stephen Waits <swaits@pr.erau.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird FreeBSD/routing/portmasterPPP problems..

<<On Sat, 17 Feb 1996 13:07:39 -0700 (MST), Stephen Waits <swaits@pr.erau.edu> said:

> When dialing up my portmaster and establishing a PPP link, my FreeBSD
> host does not realize the proper route to the portmaster assigned PPP
> address.  ping's to the PPP host's IP return 'host is down'.

There is not enough information here to diagnose the problem.

> ifconfig ed0 inet 206.85.32.32 netmask 0xfffffc00
> ifconfig ed0 alias 206.85.32.33 netmask 0xffffffff
> ifconfig ed0 alias 206.85.32.34 netmask 0xffffffff
> ifconfig ed0 alias 206.85.34.1 netmask 0xffffffff

> I can make the "broken" PPP link work if I manually fix the route tables.

What are the parameters of the PPP connection?  What does your routing
table (netstat -ran) look like when it's broken?

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.