Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:16:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        Paul Saab <ps@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ciss driver and tagged queuing

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Paul Saab wrote:

> Lukas Ertl (l.ertl@univie.ac.at) wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Paul Saab wrote:
> >
> > > Yea.. Mike and I discovered that the CAM sim was being frozen but nev=
er
> > > being unfrozen.  Can you try this patch?
> >
> > thanks for the patch. Yes, the processes now don't lock up anymore, but
> > the performance issues are still there. Read performance has improved, =
but
> > write performance is still low.
>
> Can you clarify "low"?  What is your setup?  How fast are the disks?
> I can try to reproduce the same setup here, but you have to give us an
> idea of what you're doing.

Ok, I've listed my benchmark results at
<http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/bonnie.html>.

Short breakdown of my setup:

Two identical Compaq PL DL380G2 w/1133 MHz Pentium III and 1280 MB RAM.

Box I ("Transtec SCSI/IDE Raid") has an Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 SCSI
adapter inside, which is connected to a Transtec SCSI/IDE Raid box (speaks
SCSI on the outside, has 12 80GB Seagate IDE disks inside, 11 of them are
configure as RAID5).

Box II ("Compaq Smart Array") has a Compaq Smart Array 5302 controller
inside, which is connected to a Compaq Smart Array with 7 72GB Compaq SCSI
disks (10k RPM), also configured as RAID5. (This is the box that was
patched.)

Stripe size of both RAID5 is 64k.

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/