Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 18:50:59 +0300
From:      Alex Kapranoff <alex@kapran.bitmcnit.bryansk.su>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.x installation problem

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 12:52:29PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> >   I'm a cs student. We have had a FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE box for a year in our
> > laboratory. It worked fine. Some days ago we decided to upgrade it to a
> > 3.3-RELEASE. The machine is a p100/8mb/500mb with a isa realtek nic.
>
> Which ethernet driver did you select for the NIC, or did the GENERIC
> kernel pick it up without requiring configuration?  If so, did the
> kernel probe messages convince you that the card was detected using the
> correct IRQ and port number?

  When I used isa nic I selected NE2000-compatible (ed0) driver. I set up
port and irq number according to those that old 2.2.8 installation used.
Yes, kernel detects it fine. sysinstall even use it to resolve distribution
url, then to login to ftp server and then to download 1024 bytes.

  pci nic of course doesn't need any manual configuration.

> > It seems to be a hardware problem, so we changed the memory, the hdd
> > and the nic(to pci) - same results.
>
> Except that you say 2.2.8-RELEASE was working fine, so unless you
> fiddled with the hardware before the upgrade, a hardware flake doesn't
> seem the most obvious culprit.

  Hmmm... I set up 2.2.8 back there yesterday. Works nice. And tried 3.3
today's morning - magic 1024 bytes and nothing more. nic is the same,
resources are the same too.

> My money's on incorrect resource configuration for the driver you used
> for the realtek card.  Pay close attention to the kernel probe messages
> and make sure that the resource configuration matches the hardware's
> actual configuration.

  That was also my first guess. Checked everything hundred of times.
Anyway, thanks for reply.

--
Alex Kapranoff,
2:50/383.20@fidonet,