Date:      Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:48:09 -0700
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Only attach device_t objects to ACPI devices with a _HID

On Jun 15, 2011, at 6:57 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
> What I am proposing to do is to change the ACPI bus driver to only add=20=

> device_t objects for Device() nodes that have a _HID or _CID.  This =
should not=20
> break any devices that have a current driver, but it will avoid having =
ACPI=20
> attach to PCI devices.  This does mean that _CRS is currently ignored =
for PCI=20
> devices.  My feeling on that is that if we do feel that is important =
to=20
> reserve those resources, we should handle that in the ACPI PCI bus =
driver=20
> itself instead (it can examine _CRS for those devices and allocate =
resources
> if we so choose).

While this should be fine for legacy devices, I do worry about other =
synthetic devices, such as CPUs, NUMA zones, etc. Would it be better =
just not to attach acpi device_t's to any nodes under PCI busses?

Also, it's still possible some PCI devices would have a CID, so you'd =
still have to handle this case, right?

> It does strike me as odd that BIOSes are assigning resources to PCI =
devices=20
> via _CRS and I wonder if it is truly valid or it it should just be =
ignored.

I think I remember some BIOSes hooking _CRS to do some late allocations. =
It's bad behavior, of course, and closely ties their allocation scheme =
to the order that WIndows traversed the acpi device tree.

-Nate