Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:13:45 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW problems...

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Open Systems Networking wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Andrew McNaughton wrote:
>
> > I had this one when my build world was out of sync with my kernel build.
> > I presume there's been a change since the release (dummynet?) which has
> > changed the size of the data structure passed from ipfw to the kernel.
>
> I wish that was it :)
> But since I only have 2.2.7-RELEASE kernel sources installed then cvsup'ed
> to 2.2.7-STABLE I dont quite see how the os could be out of sync with the
> kernel. its the same release. It appears that message comes from ip_fw.c

xxx-STABLE isnt "the same release" as xxx-RELEASE, and they're not guaranteed
to be backwards compatible - the numbering in the -STABLE name refers to the
most recent previous release along that development branch). i.e the
xxx-RELEASEs are just snapshot of -STABLE taken at a certain time. So
2.2.7-STABLE keeps creeping along from the 2.2.7-RELEASE codebase, and the
name will change to 2.2.8-STABLE once 2.2.8-RELEASE is out the door.

It isn't supposed to happen in -STABLE very often, but occasionally the kernel
structures change (to add features, etc) and becomes incompatible with a world
which was not compiled expecting those changes. Almost certainly this is the
problem you are seeing (in fact I seem to remember reading about something
Luigi Rizzo did to ipfw in -stable which broke backwards-compatibility of the
ipfw binary). If you're goign to track a -stable kernel, you should be
subscribed to the freebsd-stable mailing list for exactly this reason (so you
know when you have to update your world sources as well).

Recompiling ipfw with sources taken from -stable at the same point your kernel
sources were from should make the problem go away.

Kris