Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:20:46 -0500
From:      John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
To:        freebsd question <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail

Sendmail's configuration file is horrendous to "humans" because it is not
intended to be messed around with by humans - only the beginning of
sendmail.cf should be touched (i.e. modifying path to sendmail.cw).

REASON: You use a .mc file and m4 to build a respective sendmail.cf config
file. In the .mc file you declare the features you want to use - within
the .mc file you do your personal configs. The .mc file is very "readable"
  and is easy to work with.

-John Von Essen