Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:52:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Richard C." <freebsd@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Infrared on Laptop...

On 25-Apr-2001 Richard C. wrote:
>  Was just wondering, is there a way to use the infrared in any way? Be it
>  network peer-peer to another laptop via infrared (as i noticed possible in
>  windows *shiver*) or maybe use it with some software as a remote control for
>  my TV, VCR, etc? I've done the later before with my Palm Pilot, was kinda
>  kewl...

There is no IrDA stack for FreeBSD which is what you would need to talk to
another laptop or a palm pilot. (Well you could possibly use the raw IR port as
a half duplex serial port and run PPP over it).

As for remote controls.. They use a fairly different system to IrDA ports so it
isn't really feasable.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum