Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:26:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org (fports)
Subject:   Returned mail: Cannot send message within 5 days (fwd)

	Outgoing mail has been wedged from my site for nearly
	a month.  Appended is mail send days ago.

	gary kline.

----- Forwarded message from Mail Delivery Subsystem -----

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 17:05:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject:  shared library fixes ((??))
To:  freebsd-ports@freebsd.org (fports)
Date:  Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:59:24 -0800 (PST)

People,

Some days ago I send a note to Satoshi asking if he knew why
the shared lib version of some ports were failing on my system.
No reply; so I began digging into the makefiles and came up
with something that works for my 2.2-R platform.

For png (libpng)::

libpng.so.${VER}: $(OBJS:S/o$/so/g)
        ${LD} -Bshareable -x -assert -Wl,pure-text -o $@ $(OBJS:S/o$/so/g) -lz

and for the mpeg shared library::

$(SHLIBRARY):   $(SHLIBOBJ)
                ${LD} -Bshareable -o $(SHLIBRARY) $(SHLIBOBJ)

I'm not sending an `official' PR because the above fixes may be
unnecessary for FreeBSD releases following 2.2.0.  Additionally
because some of the above gcc|ld flags may be missing or extraneous.

Hope that these hacks help.

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix