Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:28:08 +0000
From:      Mike Doyle <relyod@cooperationireland.org>
To:        Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for Yoda

At 15:06 11/03/01 -0500, Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net> wrote:

>One of the common misconceptions I've seen from non-programmers is that
>"knowing" a language is the same as knowing how to program. Its exactly
>backwards.
>
>Once you know how to program, are comfortable with algorithms, problem
>solving, breaking projects down to their constituant parts, know about
>basic efficiencies, know a little about things like queing theory etc etc,
>you are on your way.

I just wanted to say that this is possibly the wisest thing said in
the whole thread. When I learned programming as part of a CS Degree
we had to  come up with a type of formalised pseudocode before
starting to program in any "implementation language" as our instructor
referred to them. By the time I was a graduate student and taking the
tutorials on that course, it was even more formalised (using formal
derivation methods).

I still think this was a great teaching tool - and while few people I
know would write a formal specification in predicate logic for an
entire system, the discipline of knowing the formalised pre- and post-
conditions for code fragments makes it much saner designing functions
and/or objects.

What language you implement your code in is irrelevant. Any computable
program can be proven to be implementable in a language with 3
instructions/functionally equivalent to a Turing machine. Of course,
no-one would ever want to re-read your code... That's what high level
languages are FOR... and some are better suited to certain tasks than
others.

At the moment, far removed from the university environment,
I use mostly PERL, PHP, MS VBA (under protest), SQL embedded into all
the above, and HTML (if you could call it a language).

In college I learned and/or taught C, C++, Pascal, Fortran, Lisp
the only one that stands out there is Lisp cause it's functional and
not procedural. Once you know one language you pretty much know them all
especially if it comes with a good, on-line HTML documentation set.

Michael Doyle                    email: relyod@cooperationireland.org
Network Administrator            personal email:     relyod@indigo.ie
Co-operation Ireland	           http://www.cooperationireland.org/
Phone: +353-1-661 0588                           Fax: +353-1-661 8456