Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:00:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Tony Ackerman <tackerman@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 10GbE Driver committed

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Tony Ackerman wrote:

> We have commited the ixgb(4) driver for Intel(R) PRO/10GbE Server
> Adapters to -current and -stable.

Tony,

When I took a look at the ixgb driver a couple of weeks ago, it looked
like there was currently no locking in the driver to allow it to execute
without the Giant lock over the kernel.  if_em and a number of other
popular drivers do have the necessary locking, which means they will be
safe to use once we support pulling the Giant lock off for most network
operations (very shortly).  Do you have plans to update the driver to add
support for Giant-free operation?

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research