Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:09:47 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        peter@wemm.org, gnn@neville-neil.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended MP development machines...

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 01:34:42PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> >> The K7 had a broken on-board usb (the AMD
> >> chipset had a PCI contention bug for the usb port, so the tin back panel
> >> of the board blocked out the usb, and the K7 came with a PCI usb card,
> >> which ate up one of your PCI slots.
> >
> > Hmmmmm.....  Do you have any details on this?  I've had occasional strange
> > USB-related things happen on this box.  Of course, it runs -current which
> > puts me into the USB danger-zone enough as it is.. but what happens when
> > this bug is triggered?
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24472.pdf

This is good to know.  The above doc is for the AMD-768 Peripheral Bus
Controller.  Luckly the pre-production Thunder K7 mobos had AMD-766's in
them.  I don't know if Tyan switched to the 768 in later production.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23615.pdf
In HTML format:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:eipmgE1E_f4C:www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23615.pdf+amd+766+revision+guide&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Is the revision guide for the AMD-766 south bridge.
There are 2 USB nits, but nothing serious like for the AMD-768 rev B1.