Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:46:18 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@palisadesys.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java/jdk15: build failure on FBSD 6.0/AMD64

O. Hartmann wrote:

> Hello.
> Since my last posting about failing to build a working JDK I tried
> again with all the recommendations I got from this list.
>
> On FreeBSD/i386, build process still dies due to a sanity check error
> (watch out my previous posting about this error). One possible cause
> should be a missing Linuxulator - but that's not the trueth. Linux was
> enabled either as kernel module and loaded when system boots or
> staticaly built into the kernel. In both cases I receive the same
> error :-(

But was linprocfs mounted as /compat/linux/proc?

> On FreeBSD/AMD64 everything seems to build perfectly since this error
> occurs (and it seemes to be at the end of the build process):
>
> Force the Client VM when dumping the shared archive since you can't
> dump the archive with the Server VM.

I applied Greg Lewis' jdk15 patch he sent yesterday (at
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2005-September/004329.html)
to the java/jdk15 port and I've successfully built the port on amd64
with it today.  I tried building and installing it earlier today before
I applied the patch, and it failed during the install with the "can't
dump" error...

> I feel confused, I read about this error but no solutions or
> workaround. It confuses me a bit that I still run into harsh trouble
> although I do exactly all the steps the port repository recommends! On
> the other hand, I ran into trouble fetching some essential ports
> needed by the jdk15-build process on an AMD64 architecture, but they
> are i386 and I needed fetching them on another i386-based machine (I
> remember myself it was a XFree86 library for Linux and not available
> for amd64, but fetching ports from FreeBSD 6.0/amd64 let me get ports
> only for amd64!).

IIRC, I was able to fetch and install all the amd64 packages for Linux
compatibility on my new amd64 machine installed from 6.0BETA2, and the
Linux JDK worked just fine for me...  I used portinstall, and I
explicitly set PACKAGESITE to retrieve the binary packages from
ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-6-current/All...

> Within the last 4 years I belong to the 'small' (?) group of FreeBSD
> users who never had success compiling a working JAVA environment. So
> neither OpenOffice is fully working, nor FireFox or Mozilla are
> capable of working with JAVA under FBSD 5/6. Mmmmmmhhhh ...

Good luck!

Guy Helmer

--
Guy Helmer, Ph.D.