Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:23:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Norman Nie <norman@nttmcl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw fwd not working

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with ipfw's fwd feature.  Would you please help me.

My freebsd has 3 NIC and is configed as below:

           |------|
           | Hub  |---|
ServerA  --|      |   |fxp2|-------|    |------|
10.0.11.2  |______|   |----|FreeBSD|    |Router|   |
                      |----|       |fxp0|--|---|   |network
                      |    |_______|       |       |192.168.11.2 etc
           |------|   |fxp1                |       |
           |Router|---|                    |
ServerB ---|  B    |                        |
10.0.10.2  |______|------------------------|

I want to redirect to ServerB all the packets going to ServerA
if the source address of the packets are from the internal
network.

My ipfw rule is:

50 fwd [ServerB] log all from 192.168.11.2 to [ServerA] via fxp0

The problem is that when I try to ping from 192.168.11.2 to ServerA,
the packet still reaches ServerA, not ServerB, although the above
rule is invoked according to the log.

So seems to me fwd feature isn't working in ipfw.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.  Please
email me at norman@nttmcl.com as I don't subscribe to
the mailing list.

Norman Nie
norman@nttmcl.com