Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:04:19 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ** HEADS UP ** Groff 1.17 (including -mdocNG) imported

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 05:37:54PM +0400, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 16:33:18 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>
> > FreeBSD-specific -mdoc configuration file is called mdoc.local.  This
> > version also provides a simple way to localize -mdoc.  For now, only
> > KOI8-R support is implemented.  See gnu/usr.bin/groff/tmac/koi8-r for
> > details.
>
> Is this message means that import is finished? :-)

Yes.

> ISO-8859-1 support was implemented too, at least in old version.

Why do you think it is gone?  I have asked for a repo-copy of all
relevant files:

contrib/groff/src/preproc/eqn/eqn/neqn.sh,v
contrib/groff/src/roff/groff/groff/groff.man,v
contrib/groff/src/devices/grotty/grotty/grotty.man,v
contrib/groff/src/libs/libgroff/libgroff/cmap.cc,v
contrib/groff/src/libs/libgroff/libgroff/cset.cc,v
contrib/groff/src/libs/libgroff/libgroff/illegal.cc,v
contrib/groff/src/roff/nroff/nroff/nroff.man,v
contrib/groff/src/roff/nroff/nroff/nroff.sh,v

> BTW, where Russian hyphentation now gone?

It was repo-copied to gnu/usr.bin/groff/tmac/hyphen.us-ru.

In short:

1.  All FreeBSD-specific contrib/ files were moved to gnu/ with repo-copy.
2.  All FreeBSD modifications have either been incorporated by the vendor,
    or merged with the new release.  Nothing got lost!

Note: the KOI8-R locale support for -mdoc (gnu/usr.bin/groff/tmac/koi8-r)
is still loaded and actived on -Tkoi8-r option to troff(1), but due to the
difference in implementation (the current implementation simply redefines
some -mdoc string variables), if you run ``nroff -mdoc'' for English manpage,
and your LANG environment variable is set to ru_RU.KOI8-R, you will get the
corrupted output.

Setting -mdoc locale based on the type of the output device is bogus.
I am about to introduce another way to set the -mdoc locale in the near
future.  For now, make sure you pass the correct groff(1) device to
nroff(1) script, similar to how this is done in man(1).

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,