Date:      Sun, 14 May 2006 15:30:42 +0100
From:      James O'Gorman <james@netinertia.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Mobile List <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1 on the ThinkPad X60s

Thought I'd give a quick update on the wireless situation.

James O'Gorman wrote:
> Wireless does not, of course, work, as it's the Intel 3945ABG chip.
> Can't even get it working using if_ndis at the moment :-(

Been playing around with the ndisulator, and have at least managed to
get it to recognise an ndis0 device now, but still can't use it properly.

I used the ndisgen(8) script to create the .ko - it only seems to work
properly when you link in w39ncpa.dll as a firmware file (what that file
actually is I have no idea!).

When I kldload ndis and then w39n51_sys, I get the following on the console:

no match for NdisIMCopySendPerPacketInfo
no match for strncat
no match for KeQueryTickCount
ndis0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection> mem
0xedf00000-0xedf00fff irq 17 at device 0:0 on pci3
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
ntoskrnl dummy called...

That last "ntoskrnl dummy called..." repeats about a dozen times,
followed by:
ndis0: Ehternet address: [my MAC address]
ntoskrnl dummy called... (another dozen times)
ndis0: NDIS ERROR: c0001389 (unknown error)
ntoskrnl dummy called... (again, another dozen)
ndis0: NDIS ERROR: c0001389 (unknown error)

I created an /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf containing:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
	ssid="myssid"
	scan_ssid=1
	proto=WPA
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
	psk="mysecretkey"
	group=TKIP
	pairwise=TKIP
}

(which may or may not be correct, I'm not sure)

Apparently I have to kldload wlan_xauth before I can do much with
ifconfig ndis0 (like set authmode to wpa).

When I run /etc/rc.d/netif start, I get:
Starting wpa_supplicant.
Failed to initialize driver interface
DHCPDISCOVER on ndis0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
send_packet: Network is down

(I have to ^C that as dhclient keeps retrying)

ifconfig then prints out all interfaces and ndis0 still doesn't work...
Ultimately when I try and kldunload all the wlan and ndis stuff, the
system crashes.

Maybe I should forward this on to -net@ to see if anyone has any idea?

James