Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 21:16:21 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows)))

-On [20000707 12:00], Brett Glass (brett@lariat.org) wrote:
>At 12:27 AM 7/7/2000, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
>
>>Having spoken a few times with Jordan on the PR side of things and also
>>on the larger aspects of the Project I can only say Brett that you
>>absolutely have an image of Jordan in your mind which is contrary to the
>>person I know and met (and others as well).
>>Jordan really is working on macro level, and not on micro level.
>
>Well, as far getting native ports of applications, emulating Linux has
>been a macro-level mistake!

We are not emulating Linux.  We are merely mapping the Linux syscalls to
appropriate BSD ones.  Please use the correct terms for that, since this
is essential to the debate you wish to carry.

>If this is the sort of "thinking on the macro level" you are talking
>about, I hope you will agree that there is a problem here.

With the help of the linuxulator we got it easier to ride the hype which
Linux created.

Now that the hype is reaching its momentum it becomes obvious that
FreeBSD/BSDi is being a major player in the whole ballgame as well.
Have you looked around recently?  There's more and more mention and
support for the FreeBSD cause (and indirectly for OpenBSD and NetBSD).
Oracle is working on a native port of their DBMS, Highpoint Tech is kind
enough to place a FreeBSD banner on their frontpage of their site.  Our
userbase continues to flourish.  BSD events, such as my local NLFUG
meetings, continue to amass more and more likeminded and curious
individuals.  These are but mere aspects and effects of things which
Jordan started on some level, and normal people like myself and many
others continues on a smaller scale.

We are here, we are demanding our portion of the marketshare, there's no
denying us.

Now tell me again, how did the linuxulator hurt us again?  Companies
will always work according to the demand/supply principle, so the
userbase needs to, politely, ask Opera to release a _native_ port.

We pulled this off with Oracle (IIRC) and we also amassed tons of votes
for a native JDK and for more products, and we got them and/or are
getting them.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd Werven/Asmodai    asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best