Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:55:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: www/en/projects/busdma index.sgml style.css (fwd)

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> AFAIK, the busdma interface for nic drivers is totally untested on
> alpha, as there are no nic drivers for common hardware that I'm aware of
> which use busdma.  Has anybody converted dc, fxp or xl yet?

Ok.  Per Maxime's e-mail, it looks like we should have two of those done
shortly, which would be great.

> I'd be happy to help anybody interested in this task, but I feel
> reluctant to take it on myself due to time commitments at my day job.
>
> FWIW, some of this is fresh in my mind, as I was recently fooling around
> with expanding the direct map on miatas.  This is a no-go, due to where
> the SRM places the memory space for the PCI devices in the system. (just
> past 2GB).

Hmm.  So it sounds like the minimal code to make busdma "work" is there,
but that until we have interface drivers, it's hard to know whether it
actually will work, and that the busdma code could generally use some
improvement to better support large memory systems.  Do you mind if I set
you as the task owner on the busdma page for making sure alpha busdma is
up to spec?  I'd like to make sure all this stuff is in line for 5.1, if
we can.

Thanks!

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories