Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:34:23 -0500
From:      Michael Johnson <ahze@ahze.net>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware recommendations for MythTV/FreeBSD

On Feb 2, 2005, at 1:27 PM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> On 2/2/2005 5:59 AM Adam Maloney wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Steven S. wrote:
>>

>>> For the most part the pvr-250 is plug and play. Most of the tuners
>>> are supported so you should be okay. I've not fiddled with source
>>> selection, from what I gather from reply's here it seems to be hit
>>> or miss, oddly. I would guess it would work. Unless it doesnt.
>>>
>> That's kind of what I suspected...everyone is pretty sure it will
>> work fine, but no one wants to out-right guaranty it :) But unless I
>> hear any real negative feedback from others, I think my mind is made
>> up on the PVR-250.
>>
> I've been watching this thread as I am interested in building such a
> setup also. Can anyone comment on whether the 350 offers any benefit
> over the 250? As I understand it, the 350 also includes a hardware
> decoder for MPEG-2 playback. Is this any significant advantage? My PVR
> will be based on an 1gz AMD Athlon.

That is the only advantage the 350 has over the 250, hardware MPEG-2
decoder.
It doesn't take much CPU power to decode MPEG-2.

> Also, I have a wide screen HDTV. Does anyone know of any cards that
> support the wide screen HDTV resolutions? Although I've found tuner
> cards (no hardware encoder) that support this, I haven't come across
> any PVR cards.

There is only a handful that mytvtv supports, and there is no freebsd
driver (yet)
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1 , scroll down the the
HDTV part.
If you get one of those cards you will need to get it before July 1st
if you are in the USA.
After July 1 they will be illegal to sell until they respect the HD
broadcast flag.