Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Garance A Drosehn <drosehn@rpi.edu>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/35907: Attempts to build mozilla fail (on current?)

The following reply was made to PR ports/35907; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Garance A Drosehn <drosehn@rpi.edu>
To: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:01:03 -0400

 On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 12:55  AM, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
 > Later I'll figure out whether it's bash per se, or if it's something
 > else in the environment which touches off the problem.

 My .bashrc file defines an environment variable called PLATFORM (and it
 has defined it for many years now...).  I use the same basic config
 files and scripts on various versions of six different OS's, and I use
 this variable to govern how various scripts behave on the different
 platforms.

 If I remove that one environment variable, mozilla will build for me
 under bash.  The actual "freebsd port" files do not reference PLATFORM
 at all, so I seem to be tripping over something in mozilla itself.  I
 did grep thru mozilla source files and found a number of files which use
 something called PLATFORM.

 Looking at the logfiles of the two compiles (working and non-working),
 it looks like some of these references will get the value mozilla
 builds, and other references get the value defined in my .bashrc.

 So, it looks like this is not something that needs to be fixed in the
 freebsd port.  I probably should pursue this with the mozilla folks, but
 for the moment I think I'll just change the name of that variable in my
 .bashrc & related scripts.  Maybe
 PLATFORM_asSetIn_bAshRc_for_GarancE_ScriPts -- that shouldn't conflict
 with anything!

 Apologies for dragging you along on my wild goose chase!
 Thanks for all the replies.

 ---
 Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.acs.rpi.edu
 Senior Systems Programmer           or     gad@FreeBSD.org
 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;           Troy NY    USA