Date:      Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:40:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fubar'ed it good this time...

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011, Kurt Buff wrote:

> Sitrep: Lenovo T61, dual booting WinXP and FreeBSD (amd64 8.1-RELEASE)
> on a 500gb drive. Just did a freebsd-update from 8.1 to 8.2, just
> doing the second boot to do 'freebsd-update install' for the second
> time, and got dumped into the mountroot prompt.
>
> AFAICT, I managed somehow to write something strange into /etc/fstab.
> Can't tell what it is, because during boot it passes by too quickly
> for me to read, and the boot process dumps me into the mountroot
> prompt.

Scroll Lock and Page Up/Down should work there to scroll back to see the
disk device numbers.

> WinXP still boots just fine, and the FreeBSD boot manager is in place,
> and was working before the update.
>
> FreeBSD was booting just fine from /dev/ad0s2a, prior to running freebsd-update.

Don't know what would cause that.  Custom kernels could have the
ATA_STATIC_ID option removed, which might give the disk a different
number, ad2 or ad4 usually.

The BIOS could have AHCI mode set, but that should not change with 8.2.
That would make the disk ada0.

I second the suggestion of mfsBSD.