Date:      Thu, 02 Apr 1998 11:58:10 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Brent Washburne <brent@excite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Number of files in a directory

I have directories with about 8 to 9 thousand in, and although 'ls'ing takes
a while, accessing the files quick... I guess it depends on what your doing
with them...

I would imagine someone running a news-server would be able to answer the
question a little better - I seem to remember they hold thousands of files
in single dir's... ;-)

Regards,

Karl