Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2000 23:21:42 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Errors in upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1

I was attempting to upgrade a computer from 4.0 to 4.1 but received errors
running "make world".  Based on some suggestions from here, I've also tried:

make buildworld
make includes
make installworld

make buildworld
make -k installworld
make installworld

all with the same results (error messages at end of message).

Just to make sure I was doing this right I started re-reading some of the
documentation.  I also have more than enough space available on all
slices.  In the past, I would upgrade the source, run "make world", rebuild
the kernel and then reboot.  So this time, I broke it down a little
further.  I did the following:

1.  Downloaded the source (I even cleaned out the /usr/src directory as
well as /usr/opt)
2.  Ran "make buildworld (this always runs without a problem)
3.  Rebuilt the kernel (edited kernel file, ran config, then make clean,
make depend, make, make install)
4.  Ran "make installworld"  (I've done this a few times, sometimes running
"make includes" before)

Each time, the process stops in the "make installworld" portion.  Here is
the error I get:

vm/vm_pager.h -> vm/vm_pager.ph
vm/vm_param.h -> vm/vm_param.ph
vm/vm_zone.h -> vm/vm_zone.ph
vm/vnode_pager.h -> vm/vnode_pager.ph
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/utils/h2ph.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/utils.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

Here is another thing I might try.  I've been able to burn a CD with the
4.1 ISO image.  Can I run install from the CD and have it upgrade the
system?  I've never tried this and am not sure how it would treat the
existing application and config files.  This may seem simple or obvious to
many of you but I've had success using cvsup and then rebuilding that I've
never had to use the CD except for clean installs.  The slightly funny part
about this whole thing is that all the documentation strongly suggests that
you have backups before you start and this IS our backup server (running
Amanda) so we do have backups.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or ideas on this.

Thanks,

Oscar