Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:01:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic: memory modified after free

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> > Running 5.0-RC as of yesterday on i386. background fsck was in progress,
> > but other than that system was idle. Logged in as root on the console, had
> > cd'd to a ports directory. (note that it panics almost instantly when
> > using the console, but lasts upto 10 minutes when in use over ssh)
> > Running "make deinstall" triggered this panic:
> >
> > Memory modified after free 0xc1891c00(1020)
> > panic: Most recently used by none
>
> Update: I re-cvsupped (to 19 Dec 14:00 GMT) , and recompiled world and
> kernel. I can no longer cause the panic. I then (out of interest) dropped
> back to the old kernel that was panicing (18 Dec 12:00 GMT), but run with
> the new world, and could not recreate the panic. I therefore believe that
> one of the userland binaries that I replaced was tickling the bug, and now
> I have replaced that binary, the problem no longer occurs.

There were several bugs fixed between those dates, most importantly this
one.  It is unlikely the userland changes that day could mask a bug like
that.

mckusick    2002/12/18 11:50:28 PST

  Modified files:
    sys/ufs/ffs          ffs_snapshot.c
  Log:
  Fix corruption introduced in previous delta.

  Reported by:    Aurelien Nephtali <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>
Sponsored by:   DARPA & NAI Labs.

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.57      +12 -4     src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_snapshot.c