Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:31:16 +0100
From:      Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen@piwebs.com>
To:        Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCO goes after BSD?

--Boundary-02=_Hvqu/sq8+LZhut/

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 23:24, Michal Pasternak wrote:
> Arjan van Leeuwen [Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:19:07PM +0100]:
> > What to think of this?
>
> Depends.
>
> Linux is (over)hyped these days. Everyone is talking about Linux, big
> corporations want to use and develop it (Sun, IBM).  SCO also surfs on the
> Linux wave to merely punch up it's stock value. BSD still seems to be less
> recognized by technical laymen (eg. marketing people).
>
> So, who would be attacked by SCO in case they decide to run against BSD
> systems? Which one of big-bucks-worldwide-famous corporations would it be?
>
> No hype, no media, no big corporation to attack - no profit for them.

The article seems to imply that by attacking the AT&T/BSDi settlement, SCO=
=20
would have more power over Linux source code (as some linux source code als=
o=20
comes from BSD). That is their angle. Also, they could attack Apple (?).

> If profit is all they want, they will not attack BSD systems. Why should
> they?
>
> But.
>
> What if they want something else - eg. what if they are only a tool,
> financed by some other corporation, which has to spread FUD and eventually
> make problems for whole opensource software?
>
> It would make sense only if the target is GNU: both Linux and X11-desktop
> GNU-licensed software, which is already a potential threat to some other,
> closed-source, commercial-desktop-producing company. It would be quite
> nonsense to try to destroy software project like BSD - you can easily
> incorporate all the code into your own software (the license allows that!)
>
> So, in my opinion, in both cases BSDs will be left untouched.

Arjan

--Boundary-02=_Hvqu/sq8+LZhut/

--Boundary-02=_Hvqu/sq8+LZhut/--