Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 2009 21:40:02 GMT
From:      Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>
To:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: standards/137173: `uname -n` incorrect behavior

The following reply was made to PR standards/137173; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, akosela@andykosela.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:31:56 +0200

 I understand that `uname -n`'s behaviour may be inconvenient to you, but
 I do not see why it is not compliant. An FQDN seems a valid "name of
 this node within an implementation-defined communications network".

 You can use shell-specific prompt expansions that generate the hostname
 without domain, or myhost=`uname -n`; myhost=${myhost%%.*}.

 --
 Jilles Tjoelker