Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:08:12 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Dirk Froemberg <dirk@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mysql-server-3.22.25 install botch (pthread_attr_setschedparam?)

In message <19990919230055.E42360@physik.TU-Berlin.DE>, you wrote:

>Hi Ronald!
>
>The answer is in your mail: You can't use packages for 3.2-RELEASE
>along with 3.1-RELEASE, since they are binaries. Instead you have
>to compile the mysql322-server _port_. See http://www.freebsd.org/ports/
>for details.

Yup.  I figured that out already and did exactly that.

The thing (mySQL) works much better when it is built from scratch!

While we are talking about this however, allow me to ask a related
question...

The off-the-shelf "port" of mySQL 3.22.25 failed to install properly
on my FreeBSD 3.1 system, apparently because of one missing thread-related
library function (which was apparently not present yet in that release of
FreeBSD).

OK, so question number one is: Did the `pthread_attr_setschedparam' standard
thread function get added into libc_r yet?  Is it there in FreeBSD 3.3?

Second question:  Does FreeBSD 3.3 have _all_ of the POSIX thread functions
in libc_r?  If not, when will the thread support be completed?

Last but not least, the mySQL docs say that mySQL can in fact make use of
several processors at a time (assuming one has a multiprocessor system to
run it on) *if* the underlying OS has real, good, and proper support for
threads (and, one must assume, if it also has good support for multi-
processor systems).

OK, so my question is simple:  Is the thread support stuff in FreeBSD
really complete, in the sense of having proper support all fo the way
down to the kernel level, or are FreeBSD threads just being implemented
at the library level, with no special involvement on the part of the
kernel?

I hope that it is apparent what I am really asking here.  If I run mySQL
on a multiprocessor system that is running FreeBSD, will it actually be
able to make use of more than one processor at a time on that system?
Does the FreeBSD kernel provide adequate support for this?