Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 1995 09:08:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>, mark.walters@admin.ox.ac.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0 kernel compilation error?

John Goerzen, programmer and owner   | MICRO$oft only exists because some
Communications Centre & Complete BBS | people are too dumb to get something
E-mail jgoerzen@complete.org         | better, such as FreeBSD.

On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > npx is not optional..
> > device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr
>
> 	I would have to agree with Terry on this one...is npx the
> only thing that is in GENERIC that is not optional?  And, since it
> isn't optional, why is it in there anyway?  Or are there circumstances
> where you would have to change the irq?

It seems to me that it is required; otherwise I get a compile or
link-time error (I can't remember which, probably link).  However, in the
handbook that comes with 2.1.0 it says:

"npx0 is the interface to the math coprocessor . . . If you do not have a
math coprocessor, you can comment this out."

That info in the handbook is incorrect.

-- John Goerzen