Date:      Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:41:56 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deep sleep modes on 7-BETA locks up syscons

--==_Exmh_1194568916_29324P

> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:46:31 -0800
> From: Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 11:25:16 -0800
> >> From: Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>

> >> Does changing timers help?  sysctl kern.timecounter.hardware = TSC or
> >> other options from kern.timecounter.choice
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if the local APIC timer is the problem.
> >
> > Crap! I need to remember when I make fairly fundamental changes on my
> > system! I entirely forgot that I turned on APIC on my system for the
> > first time as it didn't work when I first got the system. I'm pretty
> > sure that this is what tickled it.
> >
> > Unfortunately, setting the timecounter to TSC does not seem to make a
> > difference. :-( But I do appreciate the APIC suggestion. I'm about to
> > build a new kernel without APIC to confirm this.
>
> Ok.  hint.apic.0.disabled="1" also works to disable it without a recompile.

It's taken a while for me to get to it, but turning off APIC does "fix"
the problem. I can certainly turn off APIC, bit I'd really like to figure
out why it only affected syscons sessions as well as whether it can be
fixed so that it is not an issue. (APIC does not seem to buy much as the
shared IRQ just seems to move from 11 to 16, but still has all of the
same devices...cbb, bge, vgapci, and all of the pci bridges.

Thanks, Nate!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)