Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 20:16:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      sporkl <spork@dti.net>
To:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   X

Hello.

	I reconfigured X windows, but the output got routed to the log but
not my stdout, so I couldn't see anything that happened and the log turned
up empty.

	Here is what settings I chose:
Mouse: protocol 2 (mouse systems)
No three-button emulation, I have three buttons.
No clearDTR/RTS
No XKB
No Alt key bindings
30-36 Horizontal sync rate
50-11 vertical sync rate
Card # 139, ET4000/W32,W32i (generic)
Choice # 3, XF86_SVGA server
Re-make the "X" link
4096K of memory, the number SuperProbe found.
No RAMDAC
No clockchip
No "X -probeonly"
No change in the video modes
Write file to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config

The results of my SuperProbe:

SuperProbe Version 2.11 (Oct 20 1996)
	(c) Copyright 1993,1994 by David Wexelblat <dwex@xfree86.org>

	This work is derived from the 'vgadoc2.zip' and
	'vgadoc3.zip' documentation packages produced by Finn
	Thoegersen, and released with all appropriate permissions
	having been obtained.  Additional information obtained from
	'Programmer's Guide to the EGA and VGA, 2nd ed', by Richard
	Ferraro, and from manufacturer's data books

The author welcomes bug reports and other comments mailed to
the electronic mail address above.  In particular, reports of
chipsets that this program fails to correctly detect are
appreciated.

Before submitting a report, please make sure that you have the
latest version of SuperProbe (see http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ).

BIOS Base address = 0xC0000

Doing Super-VGA Probes...
	Probing WD...
	Probing Video7...
	Probing MX...
	Probing Genoa...
	Probing UMC...
	Probing Trident...
	Probing SiS...
	Probing ATI...
	Probing Ahead...
	Probing NCR...
	Probing S3...
	Probing AL...
	Probing Cirrus54...
	Probing Cirrus64...
	Probing Tseng...

Doing Graphics CoProcessor Probes...
	Probing ATI_Mach...
	Probing 8514/A...
	Probing I128...

First video: Super-VGA
	Chipset: Tseng ET4000/W32 (Port Probed)
	Memory:  4096 Kbytes
	RAMDAC:  AT&T 20C492 15/16/18-bit DAC with gamma correction
		 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))

	I have not attempted to run X since this reconfiguration. I will
wait for recommendations before I do so. Thank you.

 -Spike Gronim
  sporkl@dti.net

	"Tradition is the chastity belt of the mind"