Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:10:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bitchx/ircd DNS overflow demonstration (fwd)

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> Err, this is out of the list's charter IMO.  We're only here to audit
> code in FreeBSD itself.
>
> Anyone want to clarify the charter?  Actually, I don't see any charter
> anywhere..

I was motivated to send this over to -audit due to the format string
problem.  Soon after the first one was exploited in BitchX (or was it
something else?), it was found that a bunch were present in the base
system as well.  I figure that such DNS problems could be present in the
base system as well, hence the info contained in the advisory would be
useful to auditers.

In any case, if you've already audited the handling of DNS in programs in
the FreeBSD base system, I apologize.  The info the advisory is clearly
useless to you.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack