Date:      Sat, 08 Apr 2000 10:44:32 -0700
From:      Kevin Gable <gablek@chem.orst.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD problems

I have problems with cd's since upgrading from 3.4 to 4.0.

I have two CD drives, one a CD-RW drive.  The output from dmesg is:

acd0: CD-RW <Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 7500> at ata0-slave using
PIO4
acd1: CDROM <CREATIVE CD1220E> at ata1-slave using PIO4

Problem 1: (This was mentioned recently in -current concerning an
HP8100)

Trying to write a CD on the HP 7500 leads to the following:

burncd -f /dev/acd0c data backup0408.ISO fixate
next writeable LBA 0
writing from file backup0408.ISO size 537592 KB
written this track 537592 KB (100%) total 537592 KB
fixating CD, please wait..
burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Input/output error

The message log has the following after this:

Apr  8 09:17:12 c292731-a /kernel: acd0: CLOSE_TRACK/SESSION - ILLEGAL
REQUEST asc=64 ascq=00 error=04
Apr  8 09:17:12 c292731-a /kernel: acd0: PREVENT_ALLOW - ILLEGAL REQUEST
asc=64 ascq=00 error=04

Problem 2:

If I am foolish enough to have a disk in either of the drives when I
boot, it is impossible to mount them.  For acd0c I get "device busy"
unless I do a umount -f /dev/acd0c, but at that point trying to mount
gives me
mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom
mount:cd9660: .: Not a directory

(Prior to the umount, df shows the disk is mounted, but ls /cdrom shows
nothing.)

If I ensure the drives are empty on boot, I can at least mount and read
disks.

I have tried this with several different disks.

My drives both worked fine under 3.4 (grumble, grumble...)  Help or
advice would be appreciated.

(I know, I know, I can always wipe my system and do a clean reinstall of
3.4, but that seems like a solution dreamt up by the boys in Redmond.)

Thanks in advance.