Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:50:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jerry Bell" <jbell@stelesys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble with new poweredge 2950

I just got a PE 2950 and I'm having some problems.

I installed 6.2PRE and it went well.  The first thing I noticed is that
immediate as BSD start to load, a bold/highlighted message says "768xxx
bytes above 4G ignore" or something like that (don't recall what xxx was.

Next thing I noticed whilest trying a buildworld against the latest stable
sources.  My system detects 8 cpus.  It actually only has 4 - 2 dual core
xeons.  I'm guessing that the others are from hyperthreading, but I'm not
certain.  Hyperthreading is disabled by default, I believe.  So, in the
process of make buildworld -j 32, I noticed that only even numbered CPUs
are being used (0,2,4,6).  Is that because BSD is ignoring the HT CPUs,
which would be 1,3,5,7?  top and iostat both show that I was never able to
exceed 50% overall CPU usage.  Is that because even though I have the HT
representations disabled, the OS is using their availabilty in calculating
% idle time?  Is there any way to get an accurate number?  The PE doesn't
let me disable HT, I don't believe.

Finally, after the upgrade, I'm having a problem with the system hanging
on startup right after the firewall message, and sometimes right after the
CD ROM detection message.  I believe that the SAS controller is supposed
to be detected next, and I'm assuming that's the problem.  When I first
tried to install, I used 6.1, and it completely didn't recognize my SAS
controller.  I found a message in the archives that suggested trying the
latest stable source, so I tried 6.2 and it worked.  Any ideas what could
be causing the problem?  When I was using the 6.2PRE ISO, I had to restart
a few times before it got past that stage also.

Thanks much!