Date:      Wed, 6 Jul 2005 05:07:34 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Julian Elischer <julian@vicor.com>
Subject:   Re: aaaargghh.. sendmail again

On 2005-07-05 19:00, Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Have you also tried sending email from a non-root account?  The root
> > user is "exposed" by default in Sendmail.  This means that the root user
> > will *NOT* be masqueraded or remapped through genericstable.  You can
> > see that the root user is exposed by looking at the {E} class:
> >
> >     gothmog:/etc/mail# grep '{E}' sendmail.cf
> >     C{E}root
>
> That hasn't be the case since 8.10.0, released more than five years ago.
> Giorgos, you should update your configuration.
>
> 8.10.0/8.10.0   2000/03/01
>         CONFIG: Removed root from class E; use EXPOSED_USER(`root')
>                 to get the old behavior.  Suggested by Joe Pruett
>                 of Q7 Enterprises.

That's funny.  I can see root in the E class even in the standard freebsd.cf
generated from the freebsd.mc file we have in src/etc/sendmail:

% gothmog:/etc/mail# cp /usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc .
% gothmog:/etc/mail# cp /usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.submit.mc .
% gothmog:/etc/mail# make freebsd.cf
% /usr/bin/m4 -D_CF_DIR_=/usr/share/sendmail/cf/   /usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 freebsd.mc > freebsd.cf
% gothmog:/etc/mail# grep '{E}' freebsd.cf
% C{E}root

I must be doing something wrong.